Sunday, May 9, 2010

Kundalini Yoga

Have you heard of Kundalini Yoga? I have to admit, I didn't know there are several types of yoga out there. I thought all yogas are the same.

I used to attend a yoga class in Maldives before. We did it in the open field every morning. I liked it. After moving here in Cambodia, I searched for a yoga class and found several classes. The Kundalini Yoga class stood out. So I signed up.

At first, I found no difference between my old yoga class and the kundalini yoga class. It all seemed the same to me. After a couple of classes, I noticed the difference. It's not all about the poses, it also focuses on the breathing and there are several meditations included.

Here's detailed description from wikipedia:

"Kundalini yoga is a physical, mental and spiritual discipline built around the physical and meditative techniques found in the teachings of Raja yoga, Shakti yoga, Bhakti yoga, tantra, Kriya yoga, Laya yoga, Nada yoga and the principles and sutras of Patanjali. In its simplest dilution, it describes a set of yoga exercises (kriyas) and mental practices (meditations) which are designed to awaken ones consciousness to the universal nature of the soul and ones spirituality. Kundalini yoga is sometimes called the yoga of awareness because it "awakens" the kundalini which is the unlimited potential that already exists within every human being.

Kundalini Yoga has been documented as a system of exercises and meditations and claims to provide extensive benefits for personal growth, health and improving mental and physical well-being, including asthma, Alzheimer's disease, diabetes, pain, stress-related diseases, healing and rehabilitating addictive behavior, and treating mental disorders."

I have been attending for almost three months now and I could say that I love it. If there is one in your place, try it. If you're here in Phnom Penh, check out the Kundalini Yoga House. Here's the address.


Kundalini Yoga House
House 204ZB Street 322
Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Hope to see you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment